- Initial training - continuing education
- Standard rhythm
- Eduniversal Ranking : 6th
Presentation of the training
This Master's Degree prepares students for the exercise of senior and middle management in organizations that implement public policies and services (administrations, companies, non-for-profit organizations). Informed about the legal, economic and political constraints of public management, it builds managerial skills on the priority of public performance: participating in the definition and evaluation of public policies, their implementation, planning and steering, up to ensuring the quality and efficiency of processes and services.
The Master's Degree meets the needs of permanent modernization of public action in a very constrained economic context. It enables students to specialize in resource functions in high demand: finance and management control; HRM and organization. It provides training in the challenges of innovation and e-administration in public services. The program opens up to the professions of public management consulting.
The Master's Degree is part of a two-year skills-building approach.
Based on a first year
which covers the theoretical, legal and technical elements of public administration, the second year develops the knowledge and know-how necessary for practical experience in management functions (governance of public organizations, leadership and change management), as well as management practices in the finance-finance-management control-HRM functions. Further training in these functional areas is planned for the second half of the year (Advanced training in finance and management control; Advanced training in human resources and organization).
In addition, the training provides the skills needed to optimize and finance public action in today's constrained contexts (European funds, new financing, public procurement policies, innovation management, e-administration).
The development of these skills is supported by a mixed teaching team made up of university professors and senior civil servants.
The students of the Master 2 Public Administration Management are mainly from the Masters Degree 1 in Public Management, and exceptionally from other university courses (law, economics, management).
Robust managerial experience (mainly in a field of public action) can be an asset for direct admission to the second year of the Master's program.
The Master's degree is open in continuing education to professionals in managerial positions in the public and parapublic sector or to professionals in other sectors undergoing professional reconversion.
The public manager's skills are divided into several fields of action:
General management, supervision
- Contributing to defining the strategic orientations of a public policy in conjunction with elected officials and stakeholders (beneficiaries, citizens, other network organizations, the territory, etc.).
- Defining and managing an organization, management or service project aimed at optimizing constrained resources and mobilizing talent.
- Allocating resources, monitoring strategy and operational implementation
- Accompanying changes brought about by reforms or resulting from local initiatives or projects
Finance and Management Control
- Developing and implementing financial and management control procedures and tools (budgets, reporting tools, dashboards, controls, cost analyses) to monitor and correct public performance in terms of efficiency, quality and socio-economic effectiveness.
HRM and organization
- Designing and promoting strategic human resources management through a perfect knowledge of the legal constraints of the civil service and by anticipating trends (mutualization, statutory diversity, teleworking, etc.).
- Designing and implementing tools and systems for forward-looking HR management, employee mobilization and professional development, and improving the social climate
- Conducting or conducting studies to evaluate public policies and services
- Mobilizing electronic resources (digitalization, big data, information systems) to improve internal management and renew the range of services offered to the user
Organization of the training
The class is made of up to about thirty students, thus allowing close work with the trainer and active teaching methods (role-playing, case studies, practical work).
The internship is compulsory. The minimum duration of the internship is 4 months and the missions validated by the teaching manager make it an evidence of professionalization.
The lecturers combine various teaching methods: theoretical presentations, case studies, role-playing, role-plays, role-plays and time for exchanges, allowing the student to be an actor in their training.
Content of the training
Governance, Leadership and Change (9 ECTS)
Territorial, administrative and service projects
Leadership and change management in the public sector
Resource Management in the Public Sector (12 ECTS)
Controlling and Costing in the Public Sector
Operational Human Resources Management
Public finances: operational management and foresight
Resource management in a context of reforms (9 ECTS)
Public purchasing policy
European funds and new methods of financing public action
Seminar: Current state of public reforms
New administrative practices (9 ECTS)
Electronic administration and public data management
Smart city and e-democracy
Mobilization of innovation management teams
Comparative approach of policies and administration
Vocational integration (15 ECTS)
Internship and dissertation Introduction to internship and job search
Memory Methodology Option (choose 1 UE among 2 ) (6 ECTS)
1) Advanced training in finance and management control :
- Management control and performance management
- Financial audit and financial risk management
2) Human Resources Development and Organization :
- Changing Public HR: Diversity, Risk, Teleworking
- Organizational audit
Further education and job opportunities
Further education :
Sectors : public and private sector
- Public administrations and public enterprises (Central administrations, Local authorities, Public institutions, Agencies, Development agencies, GIP, International organizations and institutions)
- Companies working with the public sector (Société d'Economie Mixte, SPL, SPLA, SCIC, Public services (public works, transport, urban planning, health, social, restoration, environment, waste, energy...), Banks, financial institutions)
- Consulting firms, management consulting agencies,
- Companies engaged in CSR or quality initiatives, social and solidarity economy companies, NGOs, non-for-profit organizations.
Targeted positions :
Contractual managers in the public sector, Project managers (European funding, new funding, e-administration, e-governance), Project managers (European funding, new funding, e-administration, e-governance); Management of units in private/non-profit organizations invested in the public sector, Consultants in the public sector.
Admission is subject to application.
- For students in initial training: a Master 1 in Public Management or a diploma of equivalent level, more generally a Master 1 in Law-Economy-Management in line with the professional project and the program.
- For those in continuing education: a Master 1 in Public Management or equivalent functions in the public or private sector, in line with the professional project of evolution or consolidation proposed by this program.
Partnerships & training highlights
The Master 2 MAP is the support diploma of one of Aix-Marseille Université's International Partnerships of Excellence. The double Degree with the School of Management of the University of Sherbrooke (Quebec) offers four students the opportunity to spend the second semester of studies in Canada and to obtain on their return the diploma of Aix-Marseille Université at the same time as the Master in Administration, public management course (Bac+5) of the University of Sherbrooke.
Entry into the dual Degree system is conditional upon a selection process at the home and host universities.
It was not a long way from my Bachelor's degree at IMPGT (2012-2015, then Master MAP) to my current position as a public sector consultant (Cabinet SEMAPHORES, ALPHA group). This training provides the tools to understand the functioning of our society and our public institutions, and the end-of-study internships allow me to assimilate theory and practice to enter the world of work in the best conditions. Enjoy!