- Initial training - continuing education
- Standard rhythm or work-linked training
- Eduniversal Ranking : 5th
Presentation of the training
This Master's Degree prepares students for the exercise of senior and middle management in organizations that implement public policies and services (administrations, companies, non-for-profit organizations). Informed about the legal, economic and political constraints of public management, it builds managerial skills on the priority of public performance: participating in the definition and evaluation of public policies, their implementation, planning and steering, up to ensuring the quality and efficiency of processes and services.
The Master's Degree meets the needs of permanent modernization of public action in a very constrained economic context. It enables students to specialize in resource functions in high demand: finance and management control; HRM and organization. It provides training in the challenges of innovation and e-administration in public services. The program opens up to the professions of public management consulting.
The Master's Degree is part of a two-year skills-building approach.
Based on a first year which covers the theoretical, legal and technical elements of public administration, the second year develops the knowledge and know-how necessary for practical experience in management functions (governance of public organizations, leadership and change management), as well as management practices in the finance-finance-management control-HRM functions. Further training in these functional areas is planned for the second half of the year (Advanced training in finance and management control; Advanced training in human resources and organization).
In addition, the training provides the skills needed to optimize and finance public action in today's constrained contexts (European funds, new financing, public procurement policies, innovation management, e-administration).
The development of these skills is supported by a mixed teaching team made up of university professors and senior civil servants.
The students of the Master 2 Public Administration Management are mainly from the Masters Degree 1 in Public Management, and exceptionally from other university courses (law, economics, management).
Robust managerial experience (mainly in a field of public action) can be an asset for direct admission to the second year of the Master's program.
The Master's degree is open in continuing education to professionals in managerial positions in the public and parapublic sector or to professionals in other sectors undergoing professional reconversion.
General management, management
- Contribute to defining the strategic orientations of a public policy in conjunction with elected officials and stakeholders (beneficiaries, citizens, other network organizations, the territory, etc.)
- Define and manage an organizational, management or service project aimed at optimizing limited resources and mobilizing talent
- Allocate resources, monitor the strategy and its operational implementation
- Accompany changes induced by reforms or resulting from local initiatives or projects
Finance and management control
- Develop and implement financial and management control procedures and tools (budgets, reporting tools, dashboards, controls, cost analyses) to monitor and correct public performance in terms of efficiency, quality and socio-economic effectiveness
HRM and organization
- Designing and promoting strategic human resources management through a perfect knowledge of the legal constraints of the civil service and by anticipating trends (pooling, statutory diversity, teleworking, etc.)
- Designing and implementing tools and systems for forward-looking HR management, employee mobilization and professional development, and improving the social climate
- Carry out or conduct studies to evaluate public policies and services
- Mobilize electronic resources (dematerialization, big data, information systems) to improve internal management and renew the service offer to the user
Organization of the training
The training is organized on a sandwich basis, with weeks of classes in Aix-en-Provence (Saporta site), professional experience and exams spread out over the academic year, thus allowing for return visits to the field. The training followed and the experience acquired through the work-study program are the subject of a thesis and support in building a professional network.
The class is made up of about thirty students, thus allowing for close work with the trainer and active teaching methods. The instructors combine various teaching methods: theoretical presentations, case studies, role-playing, role-playing and discussion time, allowing the student to be an active participant in his/her training.
The Master 2 MAP is the diploma that supports one of Aix-Marseille University's International Partnerships of Excellence. The double degree with the School of Management of the University of Sherbrooke (Quebec) offers four students the opportunity to spend the second semester of their studies in Canada and to obtain, upon their return, the Aix-Marseille University diploma at the same time as the Master's degree in Administration, public management course (Bac+5) from the University of Sherbrooke.
Content of the training
Governance, Leadership and Change (9 ECTS)
Territorial, administrative and service projects
Leadership and change management in the public sector
Resource Management in the Public Sector (12 ECTS)
Controlling and Costing in the Public Sector
Operational Human Resources Management
Public finances: operational management and foresight
Resource management in a context of reforms (9 ECTS)
Public purchasing policy
European funds and new methods of financing public action
Seminar: Current state of public reforms
New administrative practices (9 ECTS)
Electronic administration and public data management
Smart city and e-democracy
Mobilization of innovation management teams
Comparative approach of policies and administration
End-of-studies work and professional integration (12 ECTS)
Dissertation and defense
Professional integration workshop
Professional accompaniment - activity report
Improvement in resource management (9 ECTS)
Management control and performance management
Financial audit and financial risk management
Changes in public HR: diversity, risks, telework
Further education and job opportunities
Further education :
Sectors : public and private sector
- Public administrations and public enterprises (Central administrations, Local authorities, Public institutions, Agencies, Development agencies, GIP, International organizations and institutions)
- Companies working with the public sector (Société d'Economie Mixte, SPL, SPLA, SCIC, Public services (public works, transport, urban planning, health, social, restoration, environment, waste, energy...), Banks, financial institutions)
- Consulting firms, management consulting agencies,
- Companies engaged in CSR or quality initiatives, social and solidarity economy companies, NGOs, non-for-profit organizations.
Targeted positions :
Contractual managers in the public sector, Project managers (European funding, new funding, e-administration, e-governance), Project managers (European funding, new funding, e-administration, e-governance); Management of units in private/non-profit organizations invested in the public sector, Consultants in the public sector.
Admission is subject to application.
- For students in initial training: a Master 1 in Public Management or a diploma of equivalent level, more generally a Master 1 in Law-Economy-Management in line with the professional project and the program.
- For those in continuing education: a Master 1 in Public Management or equivalent functions in the public or private sector, in line with the professional project of evolution or consolidation proposed by this program.
Partnerships & training highlights
The Master 2 MAP is the support diploma of one of Aix-Marseille Université's International Partnerships of Excellence. The double Degree with the School of Management of the University of Sherbrooke (Quebec) offers four students the opportunity to spend the second semester of studies in Canada and to obtain on their return the diploma of Aix-Marseille Université at the same time as the Master in Administration, public management course (Bac+5) of the University of Sherbrooke.
Entry into the dual Degree system is conditional upon a selection process at the home and host universities.
My core mission revolves around the conduct of audits of a global nature (legal, financial, accounting, review of procedures, etc.). I also have other ancillary activities as part of a new approach and impetus from management. I work on the creation of a service offer and transversally on projects at the leve […]Read more
My core mission revolves around the conduct of audits of a global nature (legal, financial, accounting, review of procedures, etc.). I also have other ancillary activities as part of a new approach and impetus from management. I work on the creation of a service offer and transversally on projects at the management or community level.
What I like most about my job :
At the intra-functional level:
- The variety of audit assignments
- The ability to organize and be autonomous in managing the workload
- The participation in cross-functional projects, given a young, dynamic and impulsive management
At the extra functional level :
- The strong relationship
- The young and close-knit team
- The capacity of initiative
Degrees obtained at the IMPGT :
In my current position, I work as part of a team to ensure the performance of the purchase, in terms of time, cost and customer satisfaction, while respecting the regulations in force. To do this, I must be reactive and efficient in the face of customer needs and the requests of economic operators. […]Read more
In my current position, I work as part of a team to ensure the performance of the purchase, in terms of time, cost and customer satisfaction, while respecting the regulations in force. To do this, I have to be reactive and efficient when faced with the needs of clients and the requests of economic operators.
What I like most about my job :
- Having the right to award defense or security contracts (MDS): this allows us to negotiate contracts. It's challenging when a procedure is being carried out.
- To be an actor of the higher interests of the State in matters of Defense.
Degrees obtained at IMPGT:
My current position consists of assisting companies in their development, financing, recruitment and networking projects, through dedicated events and fairs. It also consists of working on land and real estate in favor of economic activity (PLUi, land intervention, calls for projects, ZAC requalification, al […]Read more
My current position consists of assisting companies in their development, financing, recruitment and networking projects, through dedicated events and fairs.
It also consists of working on land and real estate in favor of economic activity (PLUi, land intervention, calls for projects, ZAC requalification, always by participating in fairs related to these subjects.
But also, my current job consists in supporting technically and financially associations of the ecosystem (associations of activity zones, entrepreneurship, etc.)
What I like most about my job:
- Feeling useful and helping people without working in the social sector.
- Helping companies in all sectors of activity.
- Not having a typical day.
- Doing field work.
Degrees obtained at the IMPGT :
My current position can be summarized in 3 parts: 70% of the activity is on the management - production of missions to support public sector organizations in their reorganization projects, 20% of the activity is on business development to respond to calls for tender and 10% of the activity is on knowledge sha […]Read more
My current job can be summarized in 3 parts: 70% of the activity is on steering - production of missions to support public sector organizations in their reorganization projects, 20% of the activity is on business development to respond to calls for tenders and 10% of the activity is on sharing knowledge / skills internally.
What I like most about my job :
- The diversity of needs and clients to support.
- The feeling of being useful.
- The team work.
Degree obtained at IMPGT: