- Initial training - continuing education
- Standard rhythm
- Eduniversal Ranking: 8th
Presentation of the training
In a context of increasing risks, be they social, health, environmental, industrial, etc., the Quality, Health, Safety and Environment functions are the subject of growing attention in both public and private organizations. The increase in the number of natural disasters and the growing demand from individuals for prevention and protection actions by local players makes it essential for any organization to have skills related to the reliability of services and products, the management of environmental external causes and the analysis of major risks. The ambition of public management, carried by the Institute, is that of raising awareness among all actors in the territory of the importance of managing the impacts of the activities of organizations while providing the best services to public service users and corporate clients. This Master's Degree is therefore intended to train tomorrow's quality managers and risk managers through theoretical and practical teaching, but also by confronting them with the realities on the ground through meetings with professionals in these fields. Complementary courses, such as crisis management and project management, reinforce the expertise of these students, who are destined to join both public and private organizations.
At the end of this Master's Degree, the student is capable of:
- ensuring and evaluate the quality of services (of a service or a company): set up a QHSE management system, conducting performance evaluation studies and audits, conducting a certification/excellence process.
- identifying and controlling risks to protect people, property and the environment: conducting risk analyses on a local scale, implementing actions to ensure the safety of staff, customers and users of public services (identification, preventive actions, impact control).
- placing the action of a company or a public service in a broader framework of public policies (e.g.: urban planning and natural space protection policies).
- contributing to building a resilient and sustainable society: meeting local actors of reference, developing socially responsible approaches, reacting during a major crisis.
- working as a team in the design, implementation, and evaluation of a project.
The master welcomes students in initial training with a view to integrating public or private organizations as well as people in continuing education for professional development.
It is ideal that the candidates are motivated, rigorous and sensitive to societal causes, especially environmental; indeed the general interest is a strong value of the master and these issues are a powerful engine of motivation and action for a successful training.
The skills to be acquired in this Master's Degree are varied and numerous:
- Mastering knowledge and methodologies derived from the theories and concepts of management sciences and law.
- Carrying out organizational diagnostics and study reports to improve the quality and risk management of an organization
- Understanding the standards
- Understanding, analyzing, and adapting to the organizational and territorial context
- Researching, analyzing and disseminating information
- Conducting literature searches and writing syntheses
- Mastering the main quality and risk management tools
- Managing in a way that integrates the notions of quality, health, safety, and the environment
- Building process evaluation systems
- Conducting a project from conception to evaluation
- Expressing yourself in a professional situation in front of various types of interlocutors
- Mastering ICTs
- Communicating in English
Social and Relational Skills:
- Managing and leading workshops and work teams
- Synergizing and coordinating various skills
- Presenting orally in front of an audience and with ICTs
- Enhancing one's skills and expertise in a professional setting
Organization of the training
All the courses take place in Marseille (AMU site of La Canebière), full time from September to November, then 3 days a week from December to March.
The defense of the research thesis is done the following September, the students who have validated the year are graduated at the end of September.
The students are supervised by two tutors who are available to the students, benefit from a tuition reception on the same site as the courses and meet more than twenty professionals and teachers to better prepare oneself to enter the workplace.
The Master's Degree is not a distance learning degree. Attendance in class is compulsory.
The internship is compulsory. It can be carried out alternately, two days a week in a company from December onwards, and full-time from May onwards. The minimum duration of the internship is 4 months and concludes with the production of a university thesis.
Students are also supervised in the management of sponsored projects and inserted in the professional environment.
Content of the training
Semester 3 :
Integrated Management System: QHSE (9 ECTS)
Health and safety management
Territorial sustainability (10 ECTS)
Public management and sustainable development
Urban and housing policy
Foundations of territorial resilience
Tools for environmental management and social responsibility (4 ECTS)
Tools for environmental management and social responsibility
Applied Public Quality (4 ECTS)
Quality of Public Services
Quality of health care institutions
English (3 ECTS)
Semester 4 :
Sustainable development and steering of public policies (6 ECTS)
Public marketing and environmental behavior
Energy transition and climate change
Sustainable management and governance
Risk Management (4 ECTS)
Risk Management and Organizational Reliability
Performance and Information Management (4 ECTS)
Performance assessment (audit and management control)
Quality and management of information systems
Project management: tools and implementation (4 ECTS)
Project management: tools and methodology
Project management: implementation and follow-up
Professional integration (12 ECTS)
Initiation to internship and job search
Methodology of memory
Internship and dissertation
Further education and job opportunities
Ph.D. in Sciences Management
- Sectors : public sector (40%) and private sector (60%)
- Targeted positions : positions of Quality, Environment, Health and Safety Manager, Major Risks Manager / Risk Manager, or Project Manager / Consultant on specific themes (CSR, circular economy, waste management, quality of life at work, evaluation, etc.). Other students take civil service exams (firefighter officer, customs, etc.) or set up their own business (consulting, innovation, etc.).
Admission is subject to application.
For those in continuing education: a Master 1 in public management or equivalent functions in the public or private sector, consistent with the professional project of evolution or consolidation proposed by this program.
Partnerships & training highlights
Numerous structures welcome our students for very enriching visits, including the CEA Cadarache, the Bouches-du-Rhône fire brigade, the Gardanne agro-ecological farm, and many others.
A partnership with the Faculty of Law and Political Science on the themes of environmental law, urban planning and the societal responsibility of organizations allows the meeting with other students and expertise complementary to the theme of the master.
Finally, the Master's Degree in Quality Management and Societal Risk Management is part of the Institut Méditerranéen de la Transition Environnementale (ITEM), an institute of excellence of Aix-Marseille Université.
The internship I did during the master's program made it easier for me to find the job that matched my expectations. The position I am currently holding is a mentoring period to become a QSSE manager in 8 months. My main mission is to renew every 3 years the MASE certification (manual of safety improvement of companies), so it is a path that starts with the commitment of the management and ends with continuous improvement [...].