- Initial training - continuing education
- Standard rhythm
Presentation of the training
Within the framework of the Master 2 Research, Studies and Consulting in Management Sciences, the Public Management specialty enables students to master all the research techniques, theories and managerial concepts that they will have to implement in their professional life, whether in an academic or consulting career.
This Master's Degree aims at training tomorrow's professionals in academic or applied research. It prepares them for teaching and research, as well as consulting.
Mastering the design and conduct of studies (research design and methodologies), scientific writing, oral and visual communication, students then go on to hold jobs in consulting and expertise firms specializing in the public sector, management positions in large public organizations, and research managers. This Master's Degree also prepares students for a doctorate in Management Sciences in order to complete a thesis in the field of public management. Regardless of the course chosen, each student benefits from specialized training that meets the requirements of the highest international research standards.
Open to students in initial training , as well as to current managers in continuing education, this Master's Degree provides them with the core skills that will enable them to carry out their future functions independently, in the fields of management sciences and public management (public/parapublic organizations, non-for-profit organizations/NGOs, private companies that are partners of public organizations, etc.).
Graduates will have acquired the following skills:
Become a researcher/consultant in management sciences
- Creativity and critical thinking (clarifying a research question, conducting research independently, mobilizing theories, interpreting results),
- Methodologies (quantitative, qualitative, mixed): choosing, justifying, putting into practice with regard to changing constraints.
- Scientific writing (understanding the structure of an academic article/thesis, writing a literature review, formulating research questions/ hypotheses).
- Consulting skills (identify managerial issues, synthesize ideas and respond to an order, be forceful in making proposals).
Knowledge of public management (PM) research:
- Mastering the fundamentals and emerging themes of PM research,
- Orienting oneself in PM research (by function: HR, marketing, strategy, finance, and sector: culture, health, social, environment, sustainable development, etc.).
- Appropriating the academic and professional environment of PM research (promote employability, funding and commercialization of research)
Mastering written, oral and visual communication:
- Structuring of work (articles, communications, reports in particular) according to the standards required in the professional field,
- Work on scientific writing, in French but also in English,
- Mastery of software for presenting work,
- Work on the postures of the presenter.
Organization of the training
The Master 2 year is divided into two complementary parts. In the first part (semester 3), courses (common core with IAE) devoted to the methodological foundations of Research in Management Sciences are given. In the second (semester 4), students acquire knowledge in the main areas of research in public management, including emerging areas.
The thesis of the second semester is the opportunity for the student to get acquainted with the research work (methodology and writing). It is supervised by a thesis director.
The lecturers combine various teaching methods: theoretical presentations, case studies, role-playing, role-playing and discussion periods, in English and French, allowing the student to take an active part in their training.
Content of the training
Quantitative methodologies in management (6 ECTS)
Understanding Quantitative Methods
Using tools for analyzing quantitative data
Qualitative Methodology in Management (6 ECTS)
Understanding qualitative methods
Using tools for analyzing qualitative data
Theoretical foundations of management research (6 ECTS)
Theory of organizations and firm theory
Definition of the project and the research problem (6 ECTS)
Research design and construction of a research project
Application: critical reading of a thesis Analysis and research methodology (6 ECTS)
Mastering the foundations and fundamentals of research in public management
Knowing public management research (10 ECTS)
Mastering the trends and emerging themes of public management research
Orientation in public management research: functional and sectoral approaches to public management
Produce data and generate analyses: methodological and technical in-depth studies (4 ECTS)
Collecting and processing data: techniques, practices and in-depth studies
Grand oral (4 ECTS)
Research thesis (12 ECTS)
Further education and job opportunities
The Master 2 prepares students for careers in teaching and research as well as in consulting (consulting firms and expertise specialized in the public sector) and for positions of responsibility within large public organizations or as research assistants.
Admission is subject to application.
For students in initial training: a Master 1 in Management, Public Management, Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science, or Public Law.
For those in continuing education: a Master 1 in Law, Economics, or Management, and management experience in the public or parapublic sector.
I am in charge of the follow-up of projects: follow-up of the realization of the activities by the partners, budget follow-up, sometimes to organize events (face-to-face or remote) - speakers, contents, support, communication, management of the providers, logistics - , or international trainings - logistics, […]Read more
I am in charge of project follow-up: follow-up of the realization of activities by partners, budget follow-up, sometimes to organize events (face-to-face or remote) - speakers, contents, support, communication, management of service providers, logistics - , or international trainings - logistics, contents - management of social networks, production of technical documents, call for projects (diffusion or application).
All of this in the context of international cooperation in the management of coastal and island natural areas.
What I like most about my job:
- The diversity of topics (communication, biodiversity, environment, sustainable development, finance and budget, management, governance ...) and the people I meet on these topics.
- The diversity of skills needed to achieve them (organizational, intellectual and knowledge, relational...).
- The challenges
- The knowledge that I develop
- The fact that I travel abroad as part of my missions
Degrees obtained at IMPGT:
Bachelor's degree in public administration (2014-2017)
Master 1 Public Management (2017-2018)
Master 2 Research, studies and consulting in management sciences (2018-2019)
Master 2 Public Management - Sustainable development and territorial governance of projects in the Mediterranean and internationally (2019-2020)